Thursday, May 15, 2008

White House of the Confederacy


The back or garden side of the White House


The front or street side of the White House


St. John's Church in Richmond where Patrick Henry gave his "Give me Liberty or give me death"speech during the American Revolution.


Patrick Henry
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Our last day in Virginia we took a tour of Jefferson Davis's house during the Civil War or more commonly referred to as the White House of the Confederacy. Once again the history nerdness oozed out of me and I had a great time absorbing lots of new information. Michael was very kind and let go on the tour alone, since we knew Madelyn wouldn't be able to make through the entire tour without breaking a national memento. But they did have fun exploring the Confederacy museum and boat replicas.

After our tour, we did a short drive around the historic district of Richmond before heading to the airport. I have been through Richmond many times, but had never ventured downtown and now I have a list of new places I would like to visit when we go back.

No comments: