Sunday, May 16, 2010

Jefferson Barracks


Madelyn resting on one the cannons that used to defend the Barracks along the Mississippi River.

Our afternoon adventure to Jefferson Barracks was humbling. The Barracks opened in 1826, at one point was the oldest and first permanent military post west of the Mississippi River and serves as a final resting place for soldiers going farther back than the Spanish American War up to present day soldiers. During the Civil War through WWII it was a training camp, hospital, and departure point for soldiers being sent off to war. We drove around the grounds for a few hours and in every direction we saw row after row of white headstones that marked our nation's hero's--known and unknown who have sacrificed their life so that my family and I can fully experience freedom and protection-something I think we all take for granted.

Jefferson Barracks is the second largest National Cemetery.

Spanish American War Unknown Solider

Civil War Unknown Solider

The city of St. Louis runs a quaint little museum lead by volunteer docents. Our docent was Bill a WWII veteran who found a willing history nerd (me)to listen and he took full advantage of me and walked me through EVERY exhibit. He especially enjoyed Madelyn who asked him a lot of questions and that just made his day. I learned much that afternoon, more than what history books record. It was getting to hear personal stories and connections to the exhibits that made the lesson memorable. I know I am often guilty of saying, "I already learn that" and tune out what is being said. But to see Bill's face light up as he was talking was priceless. He made a comment as we were leaving that not many young people come here and ask questions, or bring their children in here to learn. He thanked us for making him feel useful. Humbling lesson number two!

At the end of the tour he left Madelyn try on some different outfits--one of them was actual WWI jacket and I am pretty sure that the jacket and helmet weighed more than Maddy but she loved dressing up.



Civil War Medical Kit. I am thankful for the many medical advances we have made since then.


To top off the evening we enjoyed a American Classic Route 66 treat at Ted Drewes Frozen Custard--Yummy!!!

No comments: