Saturday, April 03, 2010

Rainbow Theme Snacks


Strawberry's, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Mandarin Oranges, Bananas, Honeydew, Blueberries and some clouds of marshmallows.


For the month of March, Madelyn's theme at School was All things Irish, including leprechauns that are found at the end of the rainbow. While they learned at school about weather, color prisms, and folklore, I wanted to use this teachable moment to remind Madelyn that all of God's creation are beautiful and have a purpose. Using Genesis 9:8-17 we learned that God keeps all of his promises.

Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: 9 "I now
establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you 10 and with
every living creature that was with you—the birds, the livestock and all the
wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you—every living creature
on earth. 11 I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be cut
off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the
earth."
12 And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making
between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all
generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the
sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over
the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant
between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the
waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in
the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and
all living creatures of every kind on the earth."
17 So God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all
life on the earth."






I found a fun recipe for Rainbow cupcakes that made a colorful impression for her school snack. You follow the directions for a white cake mix and then you measure out the batter into small bowls, add food coloring to the desired color. Then spoon a little bit of the colored batter into each cupcake pan. It was super easy, although it left more dishes to clean up, Madelyn had a blast squeezing the food coloring and mixing the batter and watched how it transformed color. Her favorite part was licking the bowl (what was left) and checking the mirror to see what color her tongue turned. We topped the cupcakes with white frosting--yummy!!

No comments: