Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rita

Rita was my grandmother, who passed away three months before I met Michael. I have shared memories and photos of my grandma with Madelyn, but I have always referred to her as my grandma, as Maddie calls my mom Grammie. Last Sunday we were getting ready for bath time when Madelyn stopped, turned around and asked "Who is Rita"? This surprised me a little bit, but I asked Madelyn how she knew Rita. She replied, "that's the nice lady who is always with Grammie and keeps her safe". "She is the one who gives me kisses when Grammie comes to visit." What Maddie didn't know was that evening, my mom (Grammie) was flying home to San Antonio after visiting my sister in San Diego. So I asked Madelyn were Rita was right now and she said "on the airplane with Grammie, to keep her safe and not be lonely". I have heard that young children can often see angels and things that adults can not, but if my grandma is making visits, it warms my heart to know that my daughter has an opportunity to experience her love and protections. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

No comments: